- Advisory Services
- Counseling Service
- Student Programs Coordination Office
- Academic Support Programs
- Health Insurance and Related Services
- SJB Student Hotline
- SJBSM Journal Issues
Where is Caguas located?
- Caguas is a city and municipality of Puerto Rico located in the central mountain region of PR, just 20 miles south of San Juan.
What is the LCME accreditation status of San Juan Bautista School of Medicine?
- The Liaison Committee on Medical Education accredits the School for a full eight-year term (due 2027)
What is the minimum GPA/MCAT to be considered for an interview?
- GPA = 3.00 (General and sciences)
- MCAT = 495
What is the average GPA / MCAT per admitted class?
- For class admitted on 2021, the AVG GPA was 3.41 / 3.57 (Sciences and general, respectively), and the AVG MCAT of 499
My MCAT score is less than 495; am I still competitive?
- An MCAT between 495-500 makes you a competitive candidate applicant. However, a lower MCAT score can be outweighed by an excellent GPA, outstanding interview performance, or extracurricular activities. We are looking for well-rounded applicants.
What were the first-time USMLE Step exam pass rates for 2021?
- Step 1: 94%
- CK: 98%
What is the number of students per class?
- Class size is 63 (80% in-state, 20% out-of-state)
What was the match rate this year?
- In 2022, 88 percent successfully matched to residency programs (37% in Puerto Rico, 63% in the USA). They matched in programs such as Radiation Oncology, Anesthesiology, Emergency Medicine, Surgery, Psychiatry, Neurology, Pediatrics, OB/GYN, and Pathology.
Do you need a degree to be admitted?
- Yes. BA or BS
What are the tuition and fees for in-state and out-of-state students?
- In-state = $30,000 (First year; 2021-2022)
- Out-of-state = $40,000
In addition to tuition and fees, what is the estimated cost of attendance for in-state and out-of-state students?
- Books, supplies and equipment = $2,900
- Housing = $11,250
- Meals = $6,000
- Transportation = $4,220
- Miscellaneous = $3,300
Does the School accept foreign (non-US citizens) students?
- We do accept foreign students on a case-by-case basis. International applicants are non-citizens without permanent residency (green card). Accepted international applicants must have an F-1 visa. Academic transcripts must be validated through a Certified USA Education Service. They must provide evidence to finance MD education. International students will be considered to the regular pool of applicants under the same admission requirements.
How many applicants apply each year?
- Approximately 1,300
If reapplying, do I need to resubmit documentation?
- Yes. You will need to resubmit all of your application materials to AMCAS.
Do you accept AP credits?
- SJBSM recognizes AP credits, and they count towards prerequisite course requirements
Do you accept transfer students?
I am not fluent in Spanish. Will my lack of Spanish proficiency prevent me from attending the San Juan Bautista School of Medicine?
- Absolutely no. We welcome and support students with limited Spanish skills. SJBSM provide a welcoming and inclusive classroom environment composed of out-of-state students whose Spanish is not their native language. While at SJBSM, you can improve your Spanish by attending Spanish courses offered by faculty from other programs (i.e., Physician Assistant, PA). Keep in mind that healthcare jobs have become very competitive in the USA, and being bilingual in the medical field opens the door to a wider selection of job opportunities. Besides, you can expand your service location and increase bonding with sensitive communities.